Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] g729 and Ekiga

hi greenhorns,

Mark Ryden wrote:
Hi, list,
  I want to add that this subject is of much interest also to me. I
would really
appreciate if somebody could shed some light on g.729 and ekiga.

G.729 has patents pending and so cannot be distributed under most OSS-licences.

AFAIK, there are some open source projects which support g.729 codecs.
For example, asterisk (though I do not have experience with it).

Format support, Codec operation support requires buying a licence as You can RTFM of Asterisk.

There are some more, which were mentioned in some posts in this mailing list
in the past.
So, anybody who has experience with g.729 and Ekiga, (good or bad), please
share your experience with us.

There're better codecs, no one needs G.729.

Rgs,
Mark