[Ekiga-devel-list] Handling ordinary phone numbers ( Yet Another Approach)

Trying to explain this once again, hopefully better. Questions in the end...

The problem I try to solve is that users typically stores telephone numbers, often formatted and without countrycode, whereas Ekiga today requires a complete URL to place even an ordinary PSTN call. This makes the basic process to call a PSTN number hard, user has to manually convert e. g., '070-543 22 11' to sip:+46705432211 sip diamondcard com I have written a piece of code which converts numbers to sip: urls. It's partly a question of handling missing country codes, partly to remove formatting characters as in '070- 543 11 22'. This code of course requires some configuration to define user's own countrycode etc. (all in total four values). It generates default config values usable for most users, and seems to work. It has the potential to let users just enter e. g., 070-543 22 11 in Ekiga to place a call instead of a complete URL.

My problem is if/how to integrate this into Ekiga. More precise, I need help to integrate it. The Ekiga code is big, and although I think I'm able to produce a set of patches, I will at least need help with where in the code I should begin, and certainly other things as well. I really can't be on my own in this, it's to much for a newbie...

So: first question: Would this overall be a Good Thing, something that makes Ekiga more usable, and thus worth some effort?

Second question. I have done a simple plan: http://mumin.dnsalias.net/ekiga-callto-ui/patches.html. Is this reasonable?

Third question. There is some UI impact, described in http://mumin.dnsalias.net/ekiga-callto-ui/index.html. Does this seems OK?

Last question: Depending on the outcome of the other questions, how should I proceed with the first patch, to integrate a set of new source files related to PSTN management into Ekiga?

Some background material: usecases defined in a few "stories:" http://mumin.dnsalias.net/ekiga-callto-ui/stories.html