Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Cross-compiling ekiga for win32

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
Eugen Dedu on 06/25/2009 02:27 PM wrote:
There is something I do not understand.  It is not possible to compile
ekiga from windows (cf.
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Cross-compile_Win32#Understanding_the_cross-build_script)

So I meant to modify Makefile so that it can be used directly from
debian and fedora, not from windows.

MinGW has a perfectly stable and working compile environment that
compiles and runs on Windows. It's able to produce the exact same
binaries that a Debian build of MinGW does. Debian is not special,
unique, or superior in any way (sorry to bust your bubble).

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the confusion. I thought that ekiga cannot be compiled on windows at all. Now I understand that it cannot be compiled on windows-native, but it can be compiled on windows through mingw environment, is that right? The wiki page then should be modified.

So we have now the Makefile which, through mingw:
- works on debian (well, with a few updates)
- does not work on fedora <-- couldn't it be modified so that it works here too? I feel the modifications should be pretty simple - does not work on windows <-- here you said the modifications are more difficult

This is what I understand, but I can be wrong of course.

If I'm not mistaken, MinGW originated on Windows. The Debian MinGW
packages are just re-compiles of the MinGW source, which is officially
compiled under Windows.

Before I used MinGW on Fedora, I was building lots of programs
(proprietary and open source) under Windows.

The Makefile in question should be able to be modified to include
building from Windows with little to no knowledge of Windows. MinGW can
run in a "MSYS" environment that partially emulates a UNIX-like environment.