Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Win32 UTF-8 vs. Codepage or what so ever

Michael Rickmann wrote:
Am Samstag, den 18.07.2009, 21:54 +0200 schrieb Eugen Dedu:
Michael Rickmann wrote:
Ekiga's handling of Windows file names and device names is done mostly in UTF-8 which works as long as there are no national characters in the names. I have a German Windows and a USB headset which in Ekiga shows up as "USB-Ger" instead of "USB-Gerät" (USB device). Ok, I can click Ekiga's update devices and then there is a "USB-Gerät" which I can select thanks to the g_locale_to_utf8 support in ekiga/lib/gui/gmpreferences.c. However, the next time Ekiga is started it complains because it is unable to open the "USB-Ger".
Hi Michael,

Until one month ago, linux usb subsystem have gotten the device name, translated it from utf-16 to latin-1 and give device names as latin-1 to applications.

The http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=a853a3d4eb2edb066248a39f0634f6f5858816a0 commit changes that, so starting with 2.6.31 my ekiga patch should be removed (or make #ifdef linuxversion <= 2.6.30...)

Hi Eugen,
I rechecked what I had done before and found that your patch with the
lib/engine/components/ptlib/utils.cpp and other files indeed works for
WIN32 as well, if you use g_locale_to_utf8 and g_locale_from_utf8. I
must have done some thing wrong the first time I tried. So my new second
patch even simplifies the code, it is tested for head and stable.

In the original ubuntu bug report, someone with such a camera and under windows had no problem. In fact, I was told that windows gives device names already in utf-8.

If I understand you correctly, this is not the case for you?!
That would make it really complicated then Windows would sometimes do
and sometimes not. Take the entry in ekiga.conf (WIN32 database)

I think I have the answer: windows uses codepage, but for that person it worked because his camera contained the copyright sign, and this character has the same value (A9) in both codepage (http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/cp1252.html) and unicode (http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/00a9/browsertest.htm).