Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Update wiki page

Le mercredi 21 janvier 2009 à 12:16 +0100, Eugen Dedu a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I would like to update page http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Linux_Users
>   I will do the following modifications, please reply if you don't agree:
>
> - remove completely section 1 (Packages installation): it's not only
> obsolete, but uninteresting in my opinion.  If you still it is needed to
> help users how to install a package, then we can point to a Web page of
> the distribution.

Please do explain why.

My opinion is: this is necessary to provide good information on how to
install last stable.

Why?

For newcomers to GNU/Linux the idea of a central package manager is
something they do not imagine until someone reveals them it is the
preferred way. I will not try to give here the reasons why this
situation. Fact is some people will search the web for binaries to
install, just like they did using Windows. Ekiga.org should point to how
to proceed installing binaries just to take care of those people. Both
for efficiency and educational purpose.

Still, I do agree this page a big rework... It indeed will benefit from
distro documentation for up-to-date and more comprehensive informations
about how to do that.

But, I will not pay much attention to that right now:
our websites are too much uncooperative each other. I think the best to
do is to integrate all of them using something like drupal (it is my
plan...) and as I do not code atm, feel free to do as you want.

> - remove completely Compile ekiga (well, we can move the uninstallation
> part to Compile pages), because this info is already in
> "Compile your own SVN version of Ekiga on Ubuntu (step-by-step)" and the
> others (for Linux, FreeBSD, Windows).

Indeed.

As a general guideline, i'm asking to reduce the amount of pages as we will
need to move all this to another backend.

PS. sorry for the lag...

Best regards,
Yannick
--
Me joindre en téléphonie IP / vidéoconférence ?
sip:yannick ekiga net