Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] the text codec

Le jeudi 01 janvier 2009 à 22:03 +0100, Damien Sandras a écrit :
> Le jeudi 01 janvier 2009 à 20:48 +0100, Eugen Dedu a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the codec "text", is it normal?
> >
> > http://eugen.dedu.free.fr/text.png
> >

> It is a new RTP "codec" allowing to establish long text conversations
> using RTP.

A bit of documentation;

If I'm correct, this is quite a good news:

"SIMPLE defines two modes of instant messaging.  These are page mode
   and session mode.  In page mode, instant messages are sent by sending
   a SIP request that contains the contents of the instant message.  In
   session mode, IM is viewed as another media type - along with audio
   and video - and an INVITE request is used to set up a session that
   includes IM as a media type.  While page mode is more efficient for
   one or two message conversations, session mode is more efficient for
   longer conversations since the messages are not sent through the SIP
   servers.  Furthermore, by viewing IM as a media type, all of the
   features available in SIP signaling - third party call control,
   forking, and so on, are available for IM."

Stable release use the "page mode", this codec is a start for "session mode".

Source and further information:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-simple-04.txt

Best regards,
Yannick