Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Ekiga developers interview on Free Software Magazine

Damien Sandras wrote:
Hello,

See:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/interview_with_ekiga_developers

Hi,

What I would like for 3.0 (I am user, not developer!) is that if there is a network connection error, ekiga show me clearly what is the error (and how can I fix it). I imagine that a lot of users fail to connect, and they don't know how to fix it and they don't try any more.

For ex., now I see only the message "Could not connect to host" when connecting to 500 ekiga net What should I do (except sending a mail to you)? First, a normal user doesn't know that it should execute with -debug 4. Also, this means it should restart ekiga.

Also, one of my friends told me that he has audio from me, but not video, while I hear and see him. How can I find myself where is the problem? Also, calling to 500 does not work for him. Finally, how can he execute ekiga with -d 4 on windows?

Ideally, I would see ekiga show a message with the error, for ex.:
- Could not connect to remote host, port N is blocked by a firewall (or sent to port N, but received no response)
- Video is disabled, your peer disabled it
- Video is disabled, cannot find a common codec (yours: ..., him: ...)
- Video disabled, port N blocked
- Cannot find the error, you can restart ekiga with -d 4 option and send a mail to ... with the output, if you wish
- etc.

In this way, the user may for ex. open the port N on his firewall, for ex...