Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Win32 build broken - status before the weekend

Quoting Torsten Schlabach <TSchlabach gmx net>:

> Hi Mattias!
>
> > Once I get it running, maybe we should try to get the same revisions
> > running on your setup first? So we know at least we are talking about the
> > same code? Its easy, we jsut have to put the revision number in the
> > makefile...
>
> Sounds good. I had tried that with the last revisions of OPAL and PTLib which
> worked for me, probably from ~1 week back. But then I found that we're
> getting way more than just those two off SVN in the meanwhile.
>
> So if you can name any combination of revisions of all dependencies which are
> fetched from SVN and which compiles, send it and I will try it on my system.
>
> We'll get there ...
>
> BTW: I think what we're doing here clearly makes the case for continous
> integration, i.e. having automated builds (and maybe even tests). Right now,
> we do these nightly build kind of manually, but as soon as we will stop doing
> that, chances are that incompatible changes are committed into all the
> dependency repositories so that next time someone tries to build, he'll start
> at squre #1. It's always easier to fix it if feedback is timely.

Unfortunately this is not really the case. Due to the nature of the win32 build,
it will always require some to adept and fix the build script. As you might have
noticed, the win32 build comes with a completely different makefile than the
linux build. The linux makefile is maintained by the people commiting to trunk,
but the win32 file is not maintained by anyone, except if I do it. I.e. if a
file is added, the win32 build wont work until this file is also added to the
win32 makefile.

Also, the win32 build always takes a lot of overhead to fix (downloading,
compiling the fixed verison packages...). I.e. if I fix 3 little details once
maybe I need 3 hours, but if I fix at first the first issue, then a week later
a second issue and later a third issue, I will end up spending 2 hours oneach
problem...

The clean solution would be to share the makefile / build environment on linux
and windows(Cross compiled), but this would require rewriting mostly the build
system, which is a _huge_ undertaking (I tried something like that last year
but aborted aftertwo weeks of nearly no progress)...