Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] GNOME Roadmap - Information Request sfor ekiga

Hi !

Le mardi 24 avril 2007 �0:50 +0300, Lucas Rocha a �it :
> Dear maintainer,
>
> GNOME 2.18 was released ~1 month ago, and we've all started to focus
> on the next development cycle. A new roadmapping process has been
> proposed[1] to know our short-term and long-term plans. The goal is to
> compose a GNOME-wide roadmap for the next stable releases. And we need
> your help to do this. It's important that you take a few minutes to
> reply to the following questions before May 7.

No problem :)

> ----
>
> - What are your plans for GNOME 2.20 (next 4 months, before feature and
>  UI freezes)?

If we have enough manpower to achieve it, ekiga 3.00 should be ready.
The main feature of Ekiga 3.00 will be :
- support for audio and video codecs on the form of plugins (allowing
H.263, H.264 to be used through appropriate plugins)
- a new user interface, more modern, and sexier
- SIP Presence support (to know if somebody is away, in a call, and so
on)
- Xvideo support (finally)
- A better Win32 version thans to DirectX support (sound, video,
display)
- IAX2 support
- And much much more

> - What are your plans for GNOME 2.22 (next year)?

A sane evolution of 3.00, perhaps with more protocols, but the main
goals are not defined yet.

> - Do you have plans for a future release?

Sure, 3.00.

> - Do you have any goals from 2.18 that were not achieved? Why?

3.00 because of the lack of spare time for the main developers. We are
not all financed by big corporations...

> - Is there something that is really missing in our infrastructure or
>  platform that would help you?

Not right now. We have the right contacts for the SIP infrastructure.

> - Do you have plans to work on other modules not maintained by you?
>  What are they?

No plan (no time).

> - Do you have any GNOME-wide goals suggestions for the next releases?

More integration. There is no point in doing a desktop if there is no
integration, and currently, integration with Ekiga is rather weak.

--
 _     Damien Sandras