Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Some points on the EKIGA/OPAL video plugin

Hi,

thank you for the quick answers. First of all I would like to comment on my question about the
missing video codec in the ekiga codec list with a dynamic payload type - I tried opalcodecinfo on
a video codec with dynamic payload type and it reported everything quite fine (dynamically
assigning payload types) - so the problem must be something with the ekiga video codec list... The
only thing I did is (it can be tried out with H.261 for example) to change the RTP PT from 31 to 0
and changing the RTPTypeExplicit flag to RTPTypeDynamic.

For the other points see my comments inline..

--- Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Craig already answered most of OPAL/PWLIB related questions, so I will
> answer the rest.
>
> Le mercredi 25 octobre 2006 à 21:58 +0200, Matthias Schneider a écrit :
>
> >   - EKIGA does not complete a remotely initiated termination of a call (see attached file
> > terminate.txt) - happens with different endpoints. If video is activated, outbound video
> > transmission does not even stop. If the connection is terminated by ekiga everything works
> like
> > expected.
> >

> It should be marked as OPAL bug. However, nobody ever reported such a
> problem in our bugtracker, and believe me that when there is a bug in
> Ekiga, we have dozens of bug reports... So I really think the problem is
> elsewhere.
>
> Try providing a -d 4 trace.

Ok I will file an OPAL bug report...

> > EKIGA enhancement proposals for discussion:
> >
> > - Bitrate widget in ekiga
> >   The bitrate slide is in kbyte/s, however I am used rather to kbit/s and always have to
> > calculate... I wonder how you feel about that, actually the codec plugins also handle the
> setting
> > kbit/s. Also I would like to propose to higher the bitrate range to at least 2mbit = 250
> kbyte/s.
> >

> It will change in the future.

Thank you very much, so there is no more need for further action from my part?

> > - make the max. RTP payload size configurable (also OPAL)
> >   Perhaps even more options should be configurable in the plugins? (right now I know only of
> > width, height, bitrate and a quality variable)
> >

> I don't see this as an Ekiga option.

Ok, its not that important right now, video can be transmitted with a fixed payload size of 1400
bytes.

> > - FPS counter (also OPAL)
> >   It would be nice to have an frames/s counter in ekiga similar to the audio and video bitrate
> > counter
>
> It could be a nice idea, yes.

Ok, so what would have to be done? Where should we run the framecounter, in the plugin or in OPAL
(e.g. increase it every time a packet with a markbit is received)? Where should I look for the
interface to ekiga? Over what timeframe are the bitrate values calculated?

> > - Jitter buffer
> >   In ekiga CVS where has the jitter buffer display gone to? I also would like to ask if the
> > current layout will be the final one - I like the "old" with the embedded sliders and the
> simpler
> > embedded video window from ekiga 2.0.3 better...
> >

> It has not be reintroduced yet. The new layout will stay, unfortunately
> for you. But I can tell you you will like it when you will know its
> purpose ;-)

Ok, I will trust you on this one.

> --
> Damien Sandras
>
> Ekiga Softphone : http://www.ekiga.org
> NOVACOM                    : http://www.novacom.be
> FOSDEM                      : http://www.fosdem.org
> SIP Phone               : sip:dsandras ekiga net

Matthias Schneider