[Ekiga-devel-list] Towards a new chat system

Hi,

the future ekiga 3.00 will have SIP, H.323, IAX2, and hopefully some
XMPP support.

This raises a new need : how to manage the chats ? The current system
probably won't scale well, so there is a need for some design here.

Don't underestimate how complex "a chat" can be :
- we can chat with a single person (easy) ;
- we can chat with several persons (call that room, channel, MUC, etc...
it's the same) (hard) :
  - we have to show a list of participants ;
  - those can have different presences (online, away) with different
presence messages ;
  - those can have roles (moderator, participant, visitor) ;
  - and those can have affiliations (owner, admin, member, none or
outcast).

So my proposition is :
- a chat-core object, which will manage
- a list of GmChat's.
(no gui there)

And as a frontend :
- a gm-chat-window object, which is a notebook containing
- gm-chat-wiew's

This would allow each protocol to provide its own type of chat view, for each type of chat it supports.

Comments ?