Re: Error renaming temporary file: Permission denied

Careful reproducing this. I just noticed when I attempt to save changes and get this error the original file is deleted.

Interestingly, I previously had the files on a different NAS (Zyxel) and did not run into this problem. So, it must be something about the ReadyNAS and your QNAS.

Finally, I tried editing tags from the command line (specifically, setting the cover art) and it worked without any problems:

$ metaflac --import-picture-from=cover.jpg *.flac

so it's something specific to easytag or the library it uses for editing flac files.

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 4:09 AM, wwp <subscript free fr> wrote:
Hello Jason,

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 00:19:34 -0600 "Bodnar, Jason" <jason shakabuku org> wrote:

> I recently moved my music collection a ReadyNAS NAS. Now when I try to save
> tag changes to files I get the following error:
>
> Failed to write comments to file
> ‘/media/readynas/p/prodigy/the_day_is_my_enemy/03_rebel_radio.flac’: Error
> renaming temporary file: Permission denied
>
> Where is this temporary file it's trying to rename?
>
> I own and have write permission for everything on the NAS:
>
> jbodnar@jbodnar:/media/readynas$ ls -la
> total 132
> drwxr-xr-x 2 jbodnar root    0 Feb  6 21:51 .
> drwxr-xr-x 5 root    root 4096 Feb  6 21:59 ..
> drwxr-xr-x 2 jbodnar root    0 Feb  6 17:10 1
> drwxr-xr-x 2 jbodnar root    0 Feb  6 16:58 2
[snip]

I tried to reproduce here, easytag 2.4.3 *and* 2.5 running on a
CentOS7, the files are located on a remote QNAP NAS mounted locally
using cifs (through gvfs).

I see no problem while either renaming mp3 files or saving tags BUT I
definitely reproduce a similar issue while attempting to edit FLAC files:
Cannot write tag in file 'foo.flac'
Error opening file '/mnt/.../foo.flac': Operation not supported

And clearly, from strace, I see:
open("/mnt/.../foo.flac", O_RDWR) = -1 EOPNOTSUPP (Operation not supported)

EOPNOTSUPP is pretty clear: operation impossible on a remote file

I'm afraid it's a design limitation in either easytag or a library it
uses, although it does work for mp3 files - I didn't search why. Maybe
it should make a temporary local copy, edit it and push it back to the
remote location instead of failing like that.

As a workaround, I'd copy the FLAC files locally, edit them, push them
back to the NAS.

BTW, are the authors still here?

Regards,

--