Re: Easytag won't start from desktop icon

Hi Steven
On 2015-10-14 05:40, Steven P. Ulrick <meow8282 gmail com> wrote:
Thank you for your patience!  With that in mind...
Don't I need a PID to be able to attach easytag to gdb?  For example, I
found this online:

|gdb /path/to/exe PID |

If I start easytag from a terminal, it starts fine, and I can get the
resulting PID easily.  If try to start easytag by clicking on the
desktop icon, easytag doesn't start, therefore there is no PID for me to
use to attach easytag to gdb.

I would appreciate it if you would tell me how to get you the
information that you need.

If another process starts easytag, and it terminates before you can attach to it in gdb (you can find the PID of a running process with "pidof", by the way), the best way that you can get a stack trace is to install and run a crash handler. The specifics of this will depend on your distribution, but major desktop distributions should set up a handler by default.

An alternative is to get the kernel to produce a core dump, and to then get a stack trace from that. I do not know how easy that is to do on a modern Linux system (where generally core dumps are disabled). There are plenty of gory (but probably not too helpful) details in the core man page:

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/core.5.html

Suffice to say, while it might be possible to generate a core dump, it would be much easier if you could use a crash handler.

--
http://amigadave.com/