Some way to reduce memory usage?

Hi everyone,

I'm using EasyTAG 2.3.2 on some folders with about 80 FLAC files in them combined. Each FLAC file has multiple images: a front cover, a back cover, a media image, and a lot of leaflet images. All of the leaflet images are common to all tracks.

I'm running this on a 64-bit GNU/Linux system with about 7.7GB of RAM, 5GB of which is free when I launch EasyTAG. This RAM is being used as filesystem cache but the cache shrinks to clear RAM for apps as needed, as is common on GNU/Linux setups.

When I load the folder into EasyTAG, EasyTAG uses about 1.8GB of RAM and then when I select all of the tracks and click the "#" button to set the number of files, I see EasyTAG is using 3.5GB. I'm using the RAM measurements in the GNOME "System Monitor" (like a GUI version of 'top') and free RAM estimates to determine these numbers. I don't understand how counting and setting the track numbering tags requires so much more RAM.

Sometimes I don't have enough RAM to process big hierarchies with lots of images in each file for tasks that don't strike me as needing a lot of RAM to perform (such as numbering tracks). EasyTAG crashes in those circumstances.

I'm guessing there's some kind of issue with EasyTAG's RAM use here, but I don't know enough about the structure of the program to identify what that is.

I expect that using a GUI-based tag editor which wants to show me thumbnails of images will require more RAM for caching those images than a CLI-based editor doing the same tagging job would require. But this amount of RAM use surprises me and makes me think something is wrong, particularly when counting taggable files in a directory shows a huge RAM use jump.

Is this a known issue, or is there a preference I can set to reduce RAM use for big jobs:

- make EasyTAG not show me the images (no image processing available)?
- make EasyTAG not keep undo data (no undo/redo available)?
- make some other change that will let EasyTAG run with lower RAM use?

Thanks for your help.