Re: EasyTAG on OS X

Hi Tony

On 2013-08-18 11:33, Tony Young <tony rfw name> wrote:
On 2013-08-17 22:54, Tony Young <tony rfw name> wrote:
I assume you're talking about http://marcoschuh.de/wp/?page_id=411 --
I took a look at it and it seems to do roughly the same things I did
(except without ifdefs for non-OS X).

Oops, I did mean that, yes. Good to know, thanks.

Is there any chance that the menu and primary (Control/Meta) changes would
not be needed with a port to GTK+ 3 and GtkApplication? If so, I would much
rather do that and avoid having ifdefs that I will rarely test. I would be
happy to do the associated cleanup and refactoring for good GTK+ 3
integration (GAction and GMenu support, mostly).

There isn't any automatic support for OS X menus in GTK3 either, so
unfortunately there needs to be ifdef'd sections for proper OS X
support -- the application can build without the optional menu
support, but just looks really out of place on OS X.

That does not seem to be true, as the GtkApplication documentation shows Mac OS X menu integration:

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkApplication.html#GtkApplication.description

Presumably, the GTK+ application menu is used as the menu structure for the application menu in OS X.

There's a function in `GtkosxApplication` called
`gtk_osxapplication_set_use_quartz_accelerators` that implies that it
would fix the shortcuts appropriately -- but doesn't, so I don't
believe gtk-mac-integration has support for modifying key bindings
automatically.

I think that with GTK+ 3 "<Primary>" can be used rather than "<Ctrl>" or "<Meta>", and the platform-specific modifier will be used. This even seems to be supported in recent versions of GTK+ 2, since 2.24.7.

The GTK dependencies were all pulled in from jhbuild and the libraries
for media files (libogg, libid3tag etc.) were from Brew. There doesn't
seem to be any problem with linking libraries in both places and, when
bundling, gtk-mac-bundler pulls libraries from both locations into the
app bundle.

Thanks. Is there any way to cross-compile for Mac OS X or is a Mac required? I have access to a Mac, but I am curious how difficult it would be for others to reproduce the setup.

Building for GTK3 on OS X is painful and requires a lot of fiddling
around with dependencies and patches for installing
gnome-themes-standard so users aren't stuck with Raleigh, but when
better support for GTK3 in jhbuild arrives, it should build fairly
painlessly.

That is a shame, but I look forward to better support in jhbuild.

--
http://amigadave.com/