Re: [flac] Fields "Orig. Artist" and "URL"

On 2012-12-08 22:42, richard lucassen <mailinglists lucassen org> wrote:
Hello list,

When viewing tags using metaflac, I see some weird things (I tested it
by using numbers like "111111"). First of all Easytag fills
"DESCRIPTION" as wel as "COMMENT" when using the field "Comment", but
that has been discussed before IIRC:

DESCRIPTION=111111
COMMENT=111111

I think that this is a historical accident, as the current Vorbis comment specification has "DESCRIPTION" as a suggested field name, and "COMMENT" is not mentioned. If there was a previous discussion about this, could someone point to it in the archives?

But the field "Orig. Artist" fills "PERFORMER":
PERFORMER=222222

I suppose that this comes from a misunderstanding of the PERFORMER field:

http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html
“The artist(s) who performed the work. In classical music this would be the conductor, orchestra, soloists. In an audio book it would be the actor who did the reading. In popular music this is typically the same as the ARTIST and is omitted.”

It would seem that, when a single artist is given or when the artist and original artist are the same, the "ARTIST" tag should be used. If an original artist is given in addition to an artist and the two are unique, the original artist should be stored in the "ARTIST" field and the performing artist should be stored in the "PERFORMER" field.

If my understanding is correct, I will file a bug and progress in fixing the problem can be tracked more easily.

And the field "URL" fills "LICENSE"
LICENSE=444444

This seems wrong, unless the URL specifies the license that the work is under. There does not seem to be a good URL-like field name in the Vorbis specification, so I suggest that the URL field in EasyTAG saves to a "URL" field in the Vorbis comment.

If you agree, I can file a bug about this too.

That's rather wierd, isn't it? A performer is not the original artist,
nor is a URL a license. Why is that? Anyone an idea?

Thanks for bringing these oddities up. I suppose that much of the problem may be in what players and metadata viewers map the field names to in a UI, so any information on what those classes of software (or specific applications) expect would be useful.

--
http://amigadave.com/