[Easytag-mailing] Problem with Genre tag - how to work around?

Hello,

I've been having a problem with the Genre tag for a long time now. Usually I open a Windows VM and use MP3Tag to fix it but this is getting to be cumbersome with so many files now.

My MP3 player (sansa fuze) is showing the Genre tag as a number not the text field. I've read that most current software like iTunes is storing the Genre as a text string and no longer a numeric value but it appears that EasyTag is still storing numbers and even then according to my testing it is storing the number without the required brackets.

I tried to track this down by using a hex editor and what I saw is that the TCON tag is being written as a number only ie. like this, TCON ....17

I did some checking and what I found is that the IDv2 TCON tag should be written as text or a number but with the number in brackets ie, TCON .....(17)

I did a test in EasyTag and manually entered (17) as the Genre and this caused the correct behaviour in my Fuze player. When done manually like this EasyTag does store the bracketed number string. So from this it appears that writing the brackets is the correct way to do it and EasyTag appears to not be doing it correctly.

I checked my versions in use and I get: EasyTag 2.1.6,  libid3tag 0.15.1 (beta). These are what I get by default in Ubuntu 9.10.

Is this problem actually occurring in the libid3tag extension or is it a problem with EasyTag not giving correct values to the extension? I don't know.

Does anyone have info on how to fix this so that I don't have to start Windows and run my mp3 files through mp3tag to fix them all the time?

Thank You!
Chris :)