Re: [Easytag-mailing] FLAC comments

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 22:57 +0200, Jérôme Couderc wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
>      According the page http://www.id3.org/frames.html which describes
> the ID3 frames, original artist and performer are in the same field...
>
> I'm missing something?

Hi Jérôme,
Sorry for the long delay in responding. ^_^

I think that id3.org page is talking about "original artist" and
"original performer" as being the same; if you look three lines further,
you see "lead performer" which would seem to indicate who is actually
performing the recorded music in question.

Anyway, I think having that vast array of options is somewhat
misleading; obviously you can't have an option for all of those in
EasyTAG.  Rather, I would suggest something like what
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html recommends:
"ARTIST: The artist generally considered responsible for the work. In
popular music this is usually the performing band or singer. For
classical music it would be the composer.
PERFORMER: The artist(s) who performed the work. In classical music this
would be the conductor, orchestra, soloists. In popular music this is
typically the same as the ARTIST and is omitted."

Granted, this is specifically for Vorbis/FLAC comments, but this is what
I've been doing with my MP3s for years (before I even knew of Vorbis,
FLAC, or even F/OSS :).

Does this help to explain why EasyTAG's behaviour is confusing to me?

Kind regards,
Andrew