Re: Detecting music from KDE music players..

Davyd Madeley wrote:
On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 02:54 +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:

I've been looking at adding player detection for amaroK and other music
players that expose the current playing track via dcop. There are two
obvious ways to achieve this;

 * link against the KDE libraries, and use dcop directly from drivel.
obvious downside: this makes the KDE libraries a dependency unless they are checked for and linked at runtime, which is probably painful * run /usr/bin/dcop (with a configure argument to specify that path) and just parse the output. Simple, and reasonably robust..

Which should I go ahead with in order to have the patch accepted? :-)

I think you should instead aim to add a D-BUS interface to Amarok,
ideally the same one that is exposed in muine. This way we can interface
with two birds using one stone^Wmethod. Rhythmbox could also do this,
and then I could ditch all that nasty bonobo property bag code.

I agree with Davyd, D-BUS would be the best option if possible. If not, dcop seems a reasonable way to get it to work for now.

Cheers,
Todd