Re: Detecting music from KDE music players..

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 02:54 +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:

> I've been looking at adding player detection for amaroK and other music
> players that expose the current playing track via dcop. There are two
> obvious ways to achieve this;
>
>   * link against the KDE libraries, and use dcop directly from drivel.
>     obvious downside: this makes the KDE libraries a dependency unless
>     they are checked for and linked at runtime, which is probably
>     painful
>   * run /usr/bin/dcop (with a configure argument to specify that path)
>     and just parse the output. Simple, and reasonably robust..
>
> Which should I go ahead with in order to have the patch accepted? :-)

I think you should instead aim to add a D-BUS interface to Amarok,
ideally the same one that is exposed in muine. This way we can interface
with two birds using one stone^Wmethod. Rhythmbox could also do this,
and then I could ditch all that nasty bonobo property bag code.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley              http://www.davyd.id.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://www.davyd.id.au/pgp/>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA