dogtail Accessing a ui running as root?

I am on Fedora 14. I have a python GTK app which I need to run as root. I do so from the command line after a sudo from the terminal. Running sniff as my personal user does not see this app. Running sniff as root throws an error (see below) I am assuming because I am not running my desktop as root. Is there a way to configure things so I do not need to log in as root?

Thanks!

-- bk

[bkearney@bkearney Desktop]$ sudo sniff

** (sniff:6723): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Accessibility bus not found - Using session bus.

Error: AT-SPI's desktop is not visible. Do you have accessibility enabled?
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sniff", line 19, in <module>
    from dogtail import tree
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dogtail/tree.py", line 1132, in <module>
    children = root.children
NameError: name 'root' is not defined

[bkearney@bkearney Desktop]$