dogtail Launching application using run() is not recognized

I am trying to test a an application written in Perl and WxWidgets
running on Ubuntu Hardy 8.04
I have installed dogtail and wrote the following code based on the
gedit demo script:

from dogtail.config import config
import dogtail.tc
from dogtail.procedural import *

print("before")
run('./eg/01_prompt.pl')
print("after")

The problem is that while the application written in Perl comes
up the python script is stuck on the run() line and after a while
(a timeout I guess) I get the following warning:

Warning: ./01_prompt.py:15: The requested object was not found:
  run('./eg/01_prompt.pl')

So what am I doing incorrectly and how can I get it recognize my application?

Gabor
ps. the Assistive Technology mode is on and the gedit demo seems to work