Re: dogtail CORBA based errors

Phil Muldoon wrote:
Hi

On the frysk project we use Dogtail to test our Java-GNOME interface. Len - the writer of a lot of these scripts, and others, have the scripts working fine. But I encounter lots of error messages centering around:

SpiException: Non-fatal SPIException: type:0 source:0 "IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0"
That generally means that the app that dogtail is trying to talk to (via AT-SPI, via CORBA) is giving bogus replies or is not responding. The exception comes from the AT-SPI/CORBA layers.
I've included one example here. I'm running Dogtail on a stock FC5 with versions:

dogtail-0.5.2-2.fc5
pyspi-0.5.5-1.fc5

What do the Corba errors mean? How are they triggered? I'm eager to try and get the scripts to work. I've seen then run too, and it is a pretty neat site to see the ui exercised
Is Frysk still running when this happens? My first guess would be that Frysk crashed, and the next thing dogtail tries to do fails.
Regards

Phil
ERROR: Check that the license text is correct
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/pmuldoon/frysk/frysk-gui/frysk/gui/test/dogtail_scripts/TestLicense.py", line 79, in setUp
   self.frysk = startFrysk(self.FryskBinary, self.theLogWriter)
File "/home/pmuldoon/frysk/frysk-gui/frysk/gui/test/dogtail_scripts/FryskHelpers.py", line 274, in startFrysk
   fryskObject = tree.root.application ( FRYSK_APP_NAME )
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dogtail/tree.py", line 1077, in application return Application(root.findChild(predicate.IsAnApplicationNamed(appName),recursive=False)) File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dogtail/tree.py", line 845, in findChild
   result = findFirstChildSatisfying(self, pred, recursive)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dogtail/tree.py", line 817, in findFirstChildSatisfying
   if child.satisfies(pred):
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dogtail/tree.py", line 685, in satisfies
   return pred.satisfiedByNode(self)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dogtail/predicate.py", line 95, in satisfiedByNode return node.roleName=='application' and stringMatches(self.appName, node.name) File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dogtail/predicate.py", line 13, in stringMatches
   return scriptName.matchedBy(reportedName)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dogtail/i18n.py", line 160, in matchedBy
   return stringsMatch(self.untranslatedString, string)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dogtail/i18n.py", line 140, in stringsMatch
   outString = outString.decode('utf-8')
 File "/usr/lib/python2.4/encodings/utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
   return codecs.utf_8_decode(input, errors, True)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x90 in position 2: unexpected code byte
The above could be a bug in dogtail. What is the value of FRYSK_APP_NAME at that point?
ERROR: Check that the credits text is correct
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/pmuldoon/frysk/frysk-gui/frysk/gui/test/dogtail_scripts/TestCredits.py", line 81, in setUp
   self.frysk = startFrysk(self.FryskBinary, self.theLogWriter)
File "/home/pmuldoon/frysk/frysk-gui/frysk/gui/test/dogtail_scripts/FryskHelpers.py", line 273, in startFrysk
   run ( FryskBinary, appName=FRYSK_APP_NAME )
 File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dogtail/utils.py", line 99, in run
   for child in desktop.children[::-1]:
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dogtail/tree.py", line 461, in __getattr__
   a = self.__accessible.getChildAtIndex (i)
 File "pyspi.pyx", line 497, in atspi.Accessible.getChildAtIndex
 File "pyspi.pyx", line 116, in atspi.exception_handler
SpiException: Non-fatal SPIException: type:0 source:0 "IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0"
The above traceback looks like the result of a buggy application running: AT-SPI reports that the root Accessible it has X number of children, but barfs when you try to retrieve a certain one.

Maybe it would be worth my getting an environment like yours set up on my own system, so I could poke around to debug issues like this.

Zack