Re: SpiderMonkey dependency change for gjs 1.47.3

On Mon, 2016-12-12 at 12:51 +0100, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
wrote:
Thanks for the heads up - I am wondering though if spiderMonkey 31 is
still a valid target. Version 38, after all, is not future, but
present - in openSUSE or example we currently have these versions:

mozjs17 (legacy, still used by polkit IIRC)
mozjs24 (gjs' dependency)
mozjs38 (Current version)

Of course if gjs really needs mozjs31, there is hardly any way we can
get around it - but if we could just target 38, which is already out,
that sounds like a step less wasted.

45 is the current version; 38 is insecure and deprecated already, and
52 is just around the corner. It's every seven Firefox releases,
matching the ESR cycle. Unfortunately porting to a new mozjs is not
simple and has to happen one step at a time, according to Philip, who
is doing the work. :)

Ideally we would use a JS engine that has a stable API to make porting
easier. That would indicate JSC, which is a core API on macOS, already
part of our platform, and arguably the most advanced JS engine right
now anyway. seed exists for this, and I'm told it has a gjs
compatibility mode now, but no release in four years is really
discouraging.

Michael