Warning of crashers coming from distribution versions

Hi all,

I noticed today that a crasher bug in nautilus was causing a lot of
duplicate reports from Debian squeeze users. I have backported the fix
that was in the git tree to 2.30 for our next point release, but there
was no way for me to know this was happening; I noticed it by luck by
skimming nautilus-list.

I think it would be better for everyone if we could be warned when a
distribution package causes an avalanche of bug reports upstream. Often
these bugs are not reported downstream, especially for applications like
gnome-panel and nautilus which just restart after crashing. With our
stable releases lasting 2 years, that can mean 2 years of crashers
piling up.

I don’t know if mechanisms could be set up to make it easier, but at
least don’t hesitate to file a bug downstream (or use any other
communication channel) when this happens.

Thanks,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :