Re: Using translations from stable releases

On K, 2007-07-11 at 12:50 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if there are people out there using translations from
> stable releases committed after the last stable release has been done.
>
> Eg, we released GNOME 2.18.3 last week and we won't have another 2.18
> release. Is there anyone who will go to svn and download the translations
> updated after the 2.18.3 release for using them in packages?

In Gentoo Linux we don't do that at the moment.
If we had an easy way to do so preferably in tarball form coming from
upstream, I would seriously consider adding them to our tree and
fast-tracking to the stable tree as I believe that perfect translations
are important to GNOME's success.

One easy way could be extra 2.18.4 releases for packages that would
benefit considerably from a translation updates only release.
As they would then be uploaded to the respective packages ftp directory
our FTP crawling script will pick them up and show in the "Latest
available version" column. For example one such script run result is
available online at http://dev.gentoo.org/~leio/gnome/gnome2.18.html
right now.

PS: I hope our FTP directory crawling script isn't causing any bandwidth
problems to you guys - if it does please let us know and we would be
happy to coordinate some more efficient way to check for latest
versions. I think it would be a good idea to do so regardless, as it
would also speed up the time it takes to regenerate that page. Maybe I
can discuss the preferred ways for this kind of things at GUADEC with
the release or infra team of GNOME?

--
Mart Raudsepp
Gentoo Developer