Dia help required

Good afternoon,

As head of the Health and Safety of my school, I am tasked with creating detailed diagrams of the school including locations of fire extinguishers, wall sockets, trees etc.
I was going to try and install Visio, but then I saw a Youtube post saying that Dia is better.
I am trying to play around with Dia to try and find the info I am looking for, but at the moment I am really struggling. Are there any tutorials that I can look at?

Kind regards,

Jacques Jansen van Vuuren
Teacher
Impact Independent High School