Python network diagram

I have two suggestions for getting started: 1) create a small diagram using DIA that has some of the features you wish to have in your final output; save the diagram; rename the resulting *.dia to *.zip; unzip and explore. This might help you see how to programatically generate your desiredĀ output.
2) look up VCG. I can't vouch for the link below, but this looks like the right tool. Visualize Compiler Graphics was a tool available around the early days of DIA. It translates a text description of a network into a planar embeded graph.

Good luck.

http://freshmeat.sourceforge.net/projects/vcg