Re: Dia development info

On Monday, August 12, 2019 03:28:34 PM Alejandro Imass wrote:
The move to GTK3 and general modernization is a good idea, BUT...

Is it too crazy to take the core values of DIA and think about a
collaborative and/or Web-based version? Lucidcharts is very rapidly
spreading and there doesn't seem to be an open source of free software
alternative. An Open Source collaborative diagraming tool that could also
produce code (like dia2code) I think would be a way to revive this. If not
a pure-web version, at least think about the way Apple Productivity tools
have done it: native apps, that allow real-time collaboration AND also
provides a Web component for people that are non-Mac users.

I'm not a developer, and don't know what others will say, but I'd want to
request that the stand-alone desktop version continue to exist, and be
maintained and improved.

And, for an online / web version, I'd vote against basing a web version on
Java based on my experience with the drawing tool used by TWiki several years
ago, which (1) I don't immediately recall the name of, but (2) was very slow
and cumbersome to use online.  (And the only way to use it was online.)

I have no disagreement with a compatible online version of Dia is developed,
especially if it is faster and less cumbersome than I experienced with the
tool mentioned above.

For mainstream use, collaboration and the seamless integration with other
widely used tools such as Attlasian Confluence is essential. The concept of
stand-alone desktop tools is rapidly fading, at least IMHO.