Re: Dia development info

On 8/1/19 2:14 AM, Zander Brown wrote:
On Thu, 2019-08-01 at 00:51 +0300, A. D Masiakos via dia-list wrote:
Zander, thanks for your answer.

So, what exactly "modernization" means ?
It there a established or at least discussed development road map ?

There isn't a roadmap as such

But basically what's meant here is to move past 2005! Even at the last release almost a decade ago Dia used long deprecated components and outdated libraries

Fast forward to 2019 and not only has gtk2 been replaced by gtk3 we actually have gtk4 right around the corner

Dia also lacks consistent code style or naming making it tricky to maintain

Thus I've been slowly working my way though Dia enforcing some kind of consistent style more inline with that used across GNOME as well as preparing to move to gtk3

This should make Dia significantly more maintainable (allowing for easier feature work) and generally ensuring it's continuing existence, distros like Debian had stated they may have to stop shipping Dia due to use of outdated libraries

Hopefully that makes sense

Yep, thanks Zander. This makes sense.

So as i understand, the focus (and priorities) are:

  1. migrate to gtk3 --> pool of contributing members is needed
  2. establish a coding standard across the project --> can come from the above pool's experience
  3. secure that Dia will remain at significant distributions such as Debian --> update usage of deprecated libraries, maybe through the transition to gtk3

I think we must streamline somehow this development, what is your opinion (list wise question)?

PS: do we know how many people are subscribed to this mailing list ?