Connection points

Hello,

As a user of both visio and dia I would like if I may, to provide some comments that may prove helpful.

(1) The single biggest drawback of dia is the limited number of connection points on key shapes. The image shape is a great way to import any SVG image. But, for complex charts the user may need to clearly show multiple connections to a shape thereby avoiding ambiguity. There are only 4 such connection points on that tool.

Creation of custom shapes works. But, I have found that text insertion fails after adding several connection points. Which is spooky behavior.

(2) A secondary issue more in the nice to have category, is the crossing of connection lines. This may be unavoidable and to avoid confusion a “bump” in the crossing point would be a nice touch. However, from a coding point of view this may be tricky to implement.

I have some experience in development and having looked at the source. I have some ideas on (1) but tragically, I have not yet successfully achieved “lift off” with meson. Hitherto, I used ./configure & make. Its just warm, comfortable and avoids the drama of trying to get Win32 binaries out of GTK3 – which may be the iceberg about to hit?

Thanks for your work. I for one really appreciate it, Dia was in need of love.