Re: Hello Everyone

Hi!
Le 04/12/2018 à 23:24, Alexander Brown a écrit :
Hello!

I've been interested in seeing Dia move forward for sometime now and
I'm glad others are as well

I don't want to step on anyone's toes but as the current maintainers
are unaccounted for I'm volunteering as acting-maintainer (I have
commit access). I've already reached out to Thomas directly asking them

having "commit access" makes you as a god on this mailing list,

even if not solving QA process (bug reports/patches managment).

to submit some of their patches as MRs to
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/dia
(unsure whose Thomas it is (Popisek ?))

Whilst I am a member of the GNOME Foundation and would like to see Dia
modernised I recognise the fact Dia is very much a cross platform
application and therefore has a sort of 'special status' within the
GNOME Project and have no intention of breaking KDE/macOS/Windows
compatibility

That said I would like to see Dia move to modern APIs like Cairo & Gtk3
(or 4) and ideally be built with meson to allow for easier development
and ensure we are not dropped by distributions

(I'm new to mailing lists so constructive feedback is welcome)

Greetings!

At least one offered to be maintainer in the past two weeks,

One key point is effectively "Gnome integration", which must not be turned too strong (dependancies has to be optionals, especially loosed functionalities from one to other would never impair usage, or be replaced "from start" by design). Sometimes portability is a high price /at first/, but finally /you gain/ (and, most important, user gains) :-).

That said, "anything you can give will help".

I think something new for years is that most of writers on list talks now about what they want to DO, so we can expect for rants and argues for a few days as a /normal process/.

That's a good signal for Dia.

(I'm retired)

Regards,

Tsfh