seemingly corrupted DIA files - however actually bzip2 compressed perl code(?)

Hello,

I'm having an issue with DIA files I created a while ago.

GUI tells me "Load Into: Error loading diagram layout.dia.", on the
shell it says: "layout.dia:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not
found".

While DIA files seem to be gzip compressed, the file header doesn't look
like gzip at all.

File corrupted? Funny enough, the other file which I also created back
then, has the same file header - so it seems kinda intentional (at least
no random corruption).

They both start with:
  F0 00 01 CF BE 42 5A 68 36 31 41 59 26 53 59 ..

Taking a closer look at the binary data, it seems both files have a
bzip2 header, starting from byte 0x07.

So by chopping off the first 6 bytes of both files, I can indeed
successfully decompress the two files with bzip2.

The result is still not a DIA/XML file, but appears to be.. perl code(?):

  $ head -c 50 foo.dia.out
  $VAR1 = bless( {'ACTIONS' => [],'ACTIONS_BY_NAME'

Actually within this code I can find strings and literally the
boxes/elements of the original DIA file - wrapped in code

Now's the questions:
 - how did that happen?
 - how do I get it back reimported into DIA?

Thanks a lot in advance!

  mirko