Re: Dia Discontinued

Randy, Rob and David,

Please disregard Andrey's tone. IMO his natural mode is edgy and rude.  I don't get it, so there's no reason you should understand its presence either. And please know, he is not representing anyone but himself.  Same with me, I am just nicer.  Andrey could actually be helpful, and is when it suits him.

There is a whole system and tradition to the development of open source software.  There are people working on it for fun, and to craft the software for their own needs.  You need to be asking substantive questions, and suggesting and making cases for good new ideas.  Don't feel put down when some old hand pops up and shoots them down. Their reasoning will have a more appropriate context. A person new to Dia would simply not be in the know until going through that process.

Dia being open source, all the earlier versions are available for further development (according the GPL license).

Here is a record of current and past progress.

I suspect that python will continue to be a mainstay for interacting with Dia.  You will have to ask someone who writes code if there is a planned effort to keep Dia abreast of changes to python.  Because of the relatively small number of people involved you might have to wait a long time, or start coding yourself.

Keep in mind that the people using Dia are satisfied with it or they would be making changes.  That may create the appearance of neglect, but it is in the nature of open source.  Dia was designed to be very flexible (if idiosyncratic) and to support the use of it by "power users."  If there is a simple work around for an issue or method, they won't make the code more complicated.  You need to offer a solid use case along with any suggestions for improvement. Try to do a good job of suggestions. This is a volunteer effort.

Best to you all,

BentMike