Re: Dia stopped working on Mac OSX 10.11.3 (El Capitan): when trying to launch, xterm launches.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 11:35 PM, Katrin Schweitzer <Katrin Schweitzer ims uni-stuttgart de> wrote:
Dear list,
I just recently started using Dia  on Mac OSX 10.11.3 and it seemed to work fine.

However, suddenly it won't start any more.

The problem started, when I minimized Dia and couldn't get the windows back.

You get the window back through the XQuartz menu, not through OS X icons. In other words, all X11 apps run inside the XQuartz container so to speak, so even though the OS as such sees the process, then native OS X Windowing system only knows about XQuartz.

I force-quit it and trie to restart. Then, I received an error message that seems to be typical with many Mac applications "The application Dia.app is not open anymore" and that supposedly is fixed by a reboot. After rebooting, Dia won't start either.

When I try to open the application now, xterm launches. Nothing else happens.

Can anyone kindly point me to what to do (or where to research further)?

1. Locate Dia.app (usually in /Applications)
2. Show contents (or use a terminal shell to cd to the directory in the following step)
3. cd to Dia.app/Contents/Resources/bin
4. Edit the file dia
5. After line 39 add the line export DISPLAY=:0
6. Save the file and exit
7. Close XQuartz if it's running
8. Start DIA again and it should start, if not restart computer and should work

If it doesn't work, please post the modified dia shell script here.

Best,
Alex