Re: commercial use of Dia

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:01 AM, Agnieszka Jedraszak <topolus3 gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to use Dia programme for commercial use. It is a base for Genealogy
programme with clip arts made by Tomasz Steifer (http://steifer.pl/). What
are the terms if I'd like to use his programme with yours Dia in it in a
commercial use? Well, it will be just me making those family trees, so it
won't be some kind of mass production. Still, I'd like to have everything
clear.

As it is stated in the Dia Homepage, it's licensed under GPL 2

https://live.gnome.org/Dia/Faq#Under_what_license_is_Dia_released.3F

In general terms and based on our experience (as I am not qualified to
offer legal advice) you may use it for anything you want (including
commercial purposes) unless you plan to re-distribute the program. If
you plan re-distrbute the Dia program as such, you must follow the GPL
2 license which is also referenced in the above link. Just read the
license and follow it. If you have any specific legal questions about
the GPL 2, you can write to the Free Software Foundation
(http://www.fsf.org) or consult with an Intellectual Property lawyer.

Best,

--
Alejandro Imass