Re: hiding connections

You can move them to another layer.  Select the items, hit ctrl-X activate the layer you want to put them on and hit ctrl-V.   I don't know if the connections are maintained  - probably not.  You could turn them off though.  This would be useful for exporting parsed views.

You could also get back with undo's.

Another way is to create temporary sparse views is to copy the whole DIa to another location or file (ctrl-C, ctrl-V), Then delete the parts you don't want to see.