How to select a layer?

Hi all,

I'm using dia-normal 0.97.2 on Xubuntu 12.10, and had this same problem
with dia-gnome 0.97.2.

How do I select a layer? The help facility in "10.2.2 Selecting
Layers" says "A layer is said as being activated when it is selected in
the Layers dialog." The trouble is, it doesn't tell me how to get to
the Layers dialog. The Dialogs menu option presents only "Python
Console". The Layers menu option doesn't contain anything called
"Layers" or "Layers dialog", it contains only "Add layer" and "rename
layer".

I added a layer, and now that layer is permanently selected, and I
can't get back to put more stuff in the original layer. Could somebody
please tell me how to access the Layers Dialog, or else to select a
layer without it?

Thanks,

SteveT