Re: dia V0.97 issues

1) You want to toggle the object snap and see how that works.

2) Groups are nice for freezing a number of entities together for moving and copying, but you have to un-group to scale the parts inside the group., then group again when finished.

I would differ with Alejandro on Inkscape.  It is a very nice program for vector drawing and has some nice features not yet in Dia such as transparency, and gradients.  It is well worth learning about.

But, Dia is better for diagramming.  Inkscape has no implementation of sheets of shapes.  Dia is simpler, and faster.  I would also recommend GIMP as another very useful open source program for image manipulation.