Linking to external documents in Dia or other alternatives...

Is there a way to take any object and give it a link to some external document? I am a software architect that uses Dia on a daily basis. I create many diagrams to show siteflow, sourceflow, and model diagrams just to name a few. The problem I have it when I start detailing the diagram in a document. Currently I use Abiword and I talk about, for example, the siteflow objects one by one detailing their information. Though this works on the first run, I have a hard time keeping track of changes I have made to the documents to make sure I cover the changes I have made in the diagram. I see two fixes for this, but this is left for discussion in the list if you have more. * Create a way to put more information in a general format to the diagram objects and give me a way to export it to a document, like abiword. * Build a way to link to a particular document from the Dia Object to another file so that I can visit it and instantly see the document information.

I personally like the first one as it would let me do all my documentation and updates from dia and I just export or change the view to see a document that details the information. All without loading a new program and needing to make sure linking will always work.

Enclosed are two documents I have that show the complexity of what I do. This is an event management tool. Everytime I make a change here I need to update the abiword docs to match. It would be nice if it was all together and I could do a view change to see the information as if I was in abiword.

Best Regards,
Jason Brower