Re: Default Fonts For Object

Greetings, John L . Poole!

I spent several hours following the suggestions and trying various
alternative and finally discovered I had set up a C:\Home directory and
there was a .dia directory that when renamed, caused my session to start
up without any error messages and the fonts working properly.  Clearly,
I had altered some configuration setting that was affecting Dia's startup.

The lesson learned here is that if you are having problems in Windows,
make sure to check your Home directory, too, if you have tainted your
environment with something such as HOME=C:\Home.  When I renamed my
C:\Home\.dia file, the problem went away.

Also, my configuration file for the problem session, defaults.dia, had this:

<dia:attribute name="font">
<dia:font family="sans" style="0" name="Helvetica"/>
</dia:attribute>

<dia:attribute name="font">
<dia:font family="Arial" style="0" name="Helvetica"/>
</dia:attribute>

<dia:attribute name="font">
<dia:font family="sans" style="0" name="Helvetica"/>
</dia:attribute>

The fresh install configuration has this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<dia:diagram xmlns:dia="http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/"/>

My system does not have Helvetica installed, so the specification of
Helvetica above is probably what was corrupting my objects and the font
renderer used the placeholder glyph, a bar or rectangular box, in
substitution.  In my experimenting with shapes, I must have imported
something or done something to change the default specification to
Helvetica causing all objects taking the properties from the default to
inherit this value.

Sounds like it. Glad you got your issue solved.

--
WBR,
Andrey Repin (anrdaemon freemail ru) 22.01.2012, <00:15>

Sorry for my terrible english...