Re: Improvement request

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Thomas Kocourek <tkocou gmail com> wrote:
DIA is a great program. But after using it, I have noted two ares where
there is need for improvement.

1) When DIA saves out the information in the native format, layer
information is lost. I would like to see the native DIA format support
saving layers just like the GIMP program. That way, if I save a works in
progress, I can reload it and edit the layers as necessary.

2) DIA automatically opens a saved file in a "best fit" mode. If I have a
works in progress and want to expand the canvas, my only option is to resize
by zooming to a smaller scale and adding the new layer. Eventually, that
scheme will run out of steam because the objects will become too small to
properly manipulate. I would like to see a "expand canvas" option which
would retain the current zoom level, but add more canvas accessible by the
scroll bars. Plus, one should be given the option of specifying which
direction to expand into.

Not sure if I fully understand this particular limitation you are
referring to in point #2. Some objects are able to scale and some not
(e.g. UML) so you can just scale the page by using File->Page Setup
and look at the scale field. When you reduce it (e.g. 40) it will
allow for more non-scalable objects to fit on the sheets.

We've been using this mechanism for years and our diagrams scale quite
well by reducing the scale mentioned above.

--
Alejandro Imass