Edge aware center point for custom shapes...

Hi all -

so I'm exploring creating custom shapes, and I have a question about how to create center connection points that act the same as for the built-in shapes like rectangle, ellipse, etc.

I'm creating some kind of closed shape, and in the XML for the Custom Shape Module I can of course just specify an interior connection point at the center (for some definition of center).  And I can connect lines to that connection point and everything is fine.  However, I don't get some of the automatic behaviors that I see in the built-in shapes like rectangle and circle and such.  When I connect a line from my center point to somewhere else, the line goes from that center point.  When I connect a line from the center of a built-in rectangle to a built-in circle, the line auto-magically moves out to the edges of the rectangle and circle (including arrow tips) and follows along the edges as the relative locations of the two objects changes.  Is there a way to make the center point of my custom shape similarly "edge aware"?

Thanks

Dan

P.S.  I'm pretty sure that "edge aware center point" is not the right name for this functionality.  If you can tell me what it's really called, I'd be much obliged...

P.P.S.  Sorry if this is a FAQ.  I did read the project FAQ and search the archives of this list, but I didn't find anything quite on point.