Re: Can I convert all my polygons to boxes? (moving from Visio to Dia)

Aleksey Tsalolikhin (2011-04-08 02:15):
Hi.  I exported my network diagram from Visio to XML, and then
imported it into Dia.

My rectangles (that I used to represent objects like servers,
switches, firewalls, etc)
appear in Dia as polygons, which means I can't easily resize them by grabbing
and moving one corner; I have to move each corner individually, and even though
it looks like there are four corners, actually there are 5, so it's
messy to resize the boxes.

I see there is a "Box (R)" object, which is what I want - is there a
way to automatically
convert the Polygons into Box (R) objects?

Automatically with - no, I don't think so. Automatically with a script - yes.

You should change
<dia:object type="Standard - Polygon"
<dia:object type="Standard - Box"

Then instead of
<dia:attribute name="poly_points">
</dia:attribute>

You would need to add:
<dia:attribute name="elem_corner">
<dia:point val="..."/>
</dia:attribute>
<dia:attribute name="elem_width">
<dia:real val="..."/>
</dia:attribute>
<dia:attribute name="elem_height">
<dia:real val="..."/>
</dia:attribute>

But you would need to calculate those values. "elem_corner" would probably be the easiest as this should be the same as "obj_pos". Height would be max(Y)-min(Y) and width would be max(X)-min(X). By X and Y I mean sets of x and y coordinates of "poly_points".

Cheers,
Nux.