applying custom styles to diagrams

Hi,
I'm trying to export diagrams to SVG, then styling them with CSS. This
doesn't work right now because the SVG carries no semantics (i.e. IDs or
classes).
Looking at diasvg.py, it seems like in the renderer there's no access to
the original semantic objects (UML Class, Association, ...) anymore.
Is there maybe a higher point in the API to hook into for implementing
this? It would also be fine just to be able to generate extra output,
with all the objects in the order they were rendered, then I can
post-process that SVG to add the appropriate classes.

Any help or ideas appreciated.

 -- niklas