How to create proportionnal shapes?

Hi,

I would like to know how to draw, edit or create proportionnal shapes
(.shape in svg) so that when I insert different kind of valve
(chemical/engineering), they have the same size and they are on the same
middle level.

Right now, I've tried to copy chemeng/val.shape  to
~/.dia/shapes/val-manual.shape and then add some lines to create a
manual valve.

In ascii art this is the normal valve (found in ChemEng)
|\  /|
| \/ |
| /\ |
|/  \|

And I want to create this:
    _____

|\ |/|
| \/ |
| /\ |
|/  \|

But when I use normal valve, and insert my new valve, they don't have
the same size since their absolute height and width are not the same,
even if they have the same coordinate (in the svg). If I use magnetic
grid, both shape center are not on the same line.

The final goal is to easily attach a pipe on the center of each valve,
horizontal and vertical, without too much manipulation, but they need to
be the same size.
I know that I could manually resize them and then copy/paste it. Then I
would have to select them all, and then align them (with the menu)...
But what is the magnetic grid for if I can't use it... Could I specify a
outer box in SVG so that each object are the same width, height and center?

Final result: (lines/pipes are aligned on magnetic grid)

                     _____

      |\  /|     |\ |/|
______| \/ |_____| \/ |_____________  <-- this pipe and valves center
are align with magnetic grid