Using a png or xcf in Dia

Hi,

I've a png image, from a gimp xcf, that I'd like
to use as an object in Dia.  I've tried turning it
into an svg with inkscape but the xml uses an svg
image tag, which the http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/custom-shapes
link (found on the FAQ) does not mention as supported.

Is there a way to use an arbitrary image in dia?

The particular image I'm interested in has
transparency, which may be yet another issue.
Is there any support for this?

I'm running dia 0.96.1 on Debian Lenny (5.4).

Thanks.

Karl <kop meme com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein