Dia as XML: differences between two "identical" diagrams

Hi

[ see attachments, if not scrubbed ]

I have a simple dia diagram that opens in Dia and looks fine. As soon as
I touch the Dia-gram, connecting lines jump around; basically it
corrupts. I carefully reattached the splines, and then compared the two
Dia (XML) files. See the attachment (if not scrubbed ).

I can't tell, by looking at the XML (even though I have tidied it up and
sdiff-like matched it with a correct version) what I could do to the XML
to make the connections, well, connect. It is actually in the corrupt
Dia XML that connections are listed: in the non-corrupt, connected,
version the connections are not listed at all. Unfortunately, just grep
-v removing the connection lines doesn't work.

My question is :
- What, or where, in the XML are the actual connections ? and, as a
  corollary,
- What can/should I do to the corrupt-ing Dia XML to make it into non-
  corrupting, that is, connected, Dia XML ?

The corrupt Dia XML was generated by graphviz/dot, though this is not
a graphviz question: I wan't to process/correct the XML myself. Also,
this is a demonstration example of the same problem observed in a
large diagram.

Searching the in the Dia archives around graphviz - dia, I did see :
[Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:34:06 +0100 ] I think the bezire line generation of
dot's Dia output is already working quite nicely, as I said: just
connecting the objects is missing.
    - Hans

I want to process the Dia XML (created by graphviz) to make the
(correct) connections. BTW, for others trying the same graphviz to dia,
don't use arrowheads in graphviz, the lines then generated by graphviz's
dia output are the-arrowheads-length short.

thank you, all, for any help or enlightenment you can share.

cheers

Stephen