Re: Dia XML format, Graphviz, Instaviz etc.

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 07:15 +0900, Glen Low wrote:
Lars, All

On 24/03/2009, at 1:06 AM, dia-list-request gnome org wrote:

Hi All

I'm the author of the iPhone graph sketching program http://
instaviz.com and sometime contributor to AT&T Graphviz project (CPL-
licensed).

I'm currently working on a Visio VDX exporter for Graphviz. I was
curious about whether I could generalize it to output DIA as well,
since the DIA support in Graphviz is rather old. Do you have any
documentation about the Dia XML format, I don't see anything that's
easily Googleable?

Given that I never got anything usable out of graphviz' Dia output, I
think that'd be great -- dunno how easily all the bezier splines will
convert, but you may have better ideas than me there.

The dtd for the diagram files can be found in the doc directory of the
distribution.  However, it doesn't say much about the objects in
question, and as far as I remember there is no further description.
That
said, it's pretty easy to figure out from a few .dia files.

Could you email me a couple of representative .dia files? Preferably
with a .pdf or .svg to compare against so I know what I'm looking at.

Sending a few in a separate mail.

Does Dia not have bezier splines?

It does, but they use a different model than graphviz does, and my
experience has been that the conversion is suboptimal.

I'll have to see if I can get Dia running on my PS3 Fedora Core box.
Otherwise I have nothing I can quickly test it on.

If it isn't already installed, it should not be a problem to do so,
whether from RPMs or from source.