Re: Running Python script

At 13.02.2009 15:18, Philip Cavaco wrote:
Hello

I am preparing to write a python script for Dia and am getting started
by following the tutorial here
http://faemalia.org/wiki/view/Technical/CourseGraph.

So far it isn't working and I don't know why. I am running Ubuntu
Intrepid and first tried with Dia installed from the package manager.
The python console is available from the Dialogs menu so I assume python
support is compiled. I placed the hello.py file in ~/.dia/python (after
creating the directory) After lunching dia I see no effect from
hello.py. I expected there to be a new menu in the diagram window called
Plugins. I have also looked in File>Plugins... no sign of it there. A
hello.pyc file is generated so the script was executed.

I don't have a File/Plugins menu anywhere in all of my Dia versions, so if you are using dia-0.96 you are probably hit by:

2007-02-10  Hans Breuer  <hans breuer org>

 [ two more steps slowly fixing issues from bug #340352 ]
 * plug-ins/python/diamodule.c : instead of breaking compatibility with
   former PyDia plug-ins reimplmented dia.register_calback() by mapping
   to the GtkAction framework (it is not yet possible again to create
   new menus, only adding menuitems to existing menus)

I then downloaded the source and compiled with ./configure --with-python
&& make && sudo make install. It completed successfully but when I
execute it from /usr/local/bin I still see no evidence that the script
is loading.

What am I missing?

Some look in ChangeLog or a recent enough version:

2008-04-05  Hans Breuer  <hans breuer org>

 * app/menus.c(ensure_menu_path) : allow plug-ins to create a menu
   path again. Does not yet work fopr the integrated ui, see bug #526146

        Hans